Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry

As soon as I saw this on the Barefoot Contessa I could pretty much taste the cheesy goodness! I made this simple appetizer two times in the past two weeks, for a cocktail party and as an app for a dinner party. It is delish! I liked it because it had a lot of flavor without too many ingredients or preparation time. It was also great because I was able to prep it ahead of time them bake it right before my guests arrived. So yummy.


Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry
Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients

1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 lb black forest ham, sliced
1/2 lb Swiss Cheese, sliced
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan. (I ran out of parchment the second time I made it so I just used Butter Flavored cooking spray.)

Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry on a floured board and carefully roll it out to 10 by 12 inches. Place it on a sheet pan and brush the center with the mustard, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Place a layer first of ham and then cheese, also leaving a 1-inch border. Brush the border with the egg wash. Place the second sheet of puff pastry on the floured board and roll it out to 10 by 12 inches. Place the second on top of the filled pastry, lining up the edges. Cut the edges straight with a small, sharp knife and press together lightly. Brush the top with the egg wash and cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

Bake for 20- 25 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes and serve hot or warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment