Monday, September 19, 2011

One-Pot Penne with Turkey Meatballs

Last month in Runner's World there was an article about chefs that turned into runners and some of their favorite pre-race foods. This one immediately caught my eye. I really like feta cheese and thought it would be a great combo with the sauce and turkey meat. I was right! Delish! And the sauce was really yummy and light. Although I am not running any big races this year I will definitely be making this again, healthy carbs and low fat protein = great meal!



One-Pot Penne with Turkey Meatballs
Pam Anderson from Runner's World Magazine
Serves 6

Ingredients

8 garlic cloves (3 whole, 5 minced)
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
3/4 crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup crumbled saltines
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 large egg
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup olive oil
4 slices prosciutto, chopped
1 cup red wine
2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
1 pound penne pasta

Directions


Heat skillet on medium-high (I used my Dutch Oven). Add the whole garlic cloves; toast 5 minutes. Remove, then smash and mince. Break up turkey in a bowl. Mix in feta, saltines, oregano, 3/4 teaspoon salt. Combine the egg, toasted garlic, and tomato paste; mix into the meat until thoroughly combined. Form into 24 meatballs. Heat oil over medium in a large pot. Heat meatballs and brown on two sides; transfer to a plate. Add minced garlic and prosciutto to the pot; sauté until garlic is golden. Add wine; reduce by half. Add tomatoes and enough water (about 1 cup) to thin the sauce. Bring to a simmer; add meatballs and cook (loosely covered) 15 minutes. Add 6 cups of water and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a simmer. Add penne; cover loosely and cook, stirring frequently, until pasta is tender (15 minutes). Uncover and simmer until sauce thickens. Serve, sprinkling each portion with feta. Serves six.

1 comment:

  1. I tore this out of Runner's World too and just made it last night. It was out of this world. I added chicken broth instead of water, which I think added to the taste. I also used mediterranean herb feta instead of plain. A total keeper!

    ReplyDelete