Thursday, June 2, 2011

Individual French Toast Stratas

I have been dying to try some brunch recipes, that I have been collecting, and haven't had a chance yet. So a few weeks ago when my friend Nicole hosted a pot-luck brunch I took the opportunity to try two of them (2nd recipe to follow shortly). I love french toast casseroles but sometimes they take a long time to bake and usually need to sit over night. This one was really easy, and only needed to soak for a short time. The recipe suggests to sit while the oven pre-heats but I thought it would taste even better after a couple hours. I basically followed the recipe however, I did end up making a few changes and additions from the original. I changed the bread to French bread to add a little texture and crunch from the crust instead of country white as it called for, I also added a little brown sugar to the egg mixture and some extra butter without melting it to coat the bread. And to enhance the top of the Stratas I used cinnamon and sugar instead of just white sugar. The top was perfect and crispy!


Individual French Toast Stratas
Rachael Ray Everyday Magazine
Makes 12 Individual French Toasts

Ingredients

6 Eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
6 tablespoons maple syrup (plus extra for topping, optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tablespoon brown sugar
large pinch salt
4 cups cubed (1-inch) French Bread
4 tablespoons room temp butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions

Whisk eggs, half-and-half, syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar and salt

Toss bread with butter; divide among 12 muffin cups.


Pour egg mixture over bread; let sit. (I let it sit for about 2 hours).


Sprinkle bread mixture with sugar before putting it into the oven.

Bake for 20 minutes.


Let cool on rack. Serve with more maple syrup, optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment