Saturday, June 4, 2011

Creamy Butternut Squash Risotto

I really like risotto... ha, who am I kidding its one of my favs! But the problem with risotto is the constant adding and stirring and the time it takes. As I was looking for quick recipes I came across this one and it is cooked completely in the microwave! I was a little suspect at first but it tasted just as creamy and tasty as making risotto on the stove. I did however need to microwave for an extra 10 minutes to make sure all the liquid was absorbed. I though this recipe turned out to be a very yummy lo-cal option to enjoy risotto.


Creamy Butternut Squash Risotto
Oxmoor House
Serves 4
Ingredients

1 1/4 cups uncooked Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 1/2 cups fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
1 (12-ounce) package frozen pureed butternut squash
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Grated fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
Thyme sprigs (optional)

Directions

1. Combine rice and oil in a 1 1/2-quart microwave-safe dish, stirring to coat. Microwave, uncovered, at HIGH 3 minutes.

2. Add broth and 1 cup water to rice; microwave, uncovered, at HIGH 9 minutes. Stir well; microwave, uncovered, at HIGH 6 minutes. Remove from microwave; let stand 5 minutes or until all liquid in absorbed (I ended up doing a total of 15 minutes instead of 5).

3 While risotto stands, heat squash in microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until warm. Add squash, salt, pepper, and cheese to risotto. Stir well to combine. Garnish with additional cheese and thyme sprigs, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment