Friday, March 4, 2011

Bucatini all'Amatriciana

I have been baking a lot lately and my blog has been seriously neglected! So I apologize but I am going to be adding a ton of great recipes and entries for the next couple of weeks. This is the first of many.

I few weeks ago Denis and I ate at one of our favorite restaurants in Hoboken, called Anthony and David's. They recently updated their menu and added a Bucatini dish, it was amazing and I couldn't stop thinking about it!! I found this recipe on Chow.com and it sounded just like my dinner. It was very easy and really yummy, tasted just like what I ordered. Only draw back, it was really nice when someone else cooked dinner.

One last thing, just in case you can't find Bucatini in the grocery store you can substitute Bigoli, perciatelly, pici and other long thick strand pasta.

Chow.com
Serves 6


Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped about 1 cup
3 thick pancetta slices about 1/3 pound, cut into 1/2-inch squares
1 28-ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes, coarsely chopped with juice reserved
2 small dried red chile peppers
1 pound bucatini or spaghetti
Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, for serving

Directions

1. Heat olive oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When butter foams, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add pancetta and cook stirring rarely, until slightly crisp, about 3 minutes more.

2. Add tomatoes and their juices and a generous pinch of salt. Crumble in chile peppers, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered until sauce is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.

3. While sauce simmers, bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil and cook bucatini according to the package directions. Reserve about 1/4 cup pasta cooking water, drain pasta but do not rinse, add to the frying pan, and toss to coat in sauce. Add reserved pasta water if needed to thin the sauce.

4. Transfer to serving plates, sprinkle Pecorino Romano, and serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. This was my FAVORITE pasta when I was in Rome. Its funny though, every recipe/restaurant makes it with chili flakes or peppers. It never had that in Italy....probably lost in translation! Hope you enjoyed, it looks DELISH!

    ReplyDelete