Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bacon and Tomato Cups

So honestly anything with bacon is amazing and this little appetizer was no exception. These little bites were so tasty I made them for 2 parties within a week. They tasted like bite sized BLTs. The best part, so easy to make. The recipe says it serves 15 but I was able to get 24 bites out of it, with left overs of the bacon mixture. It also suggests to slice the biscuits in half, but I thought they were too big for the mini muffin pan that way. In order to fill all the mini cups I ended up separating the biscuits into thirds. Although making them all the same thickness was a little challenging, I found one brand that worked better than the other. The first time I made them I used Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits and the second time I used Shop-Rite Butter Flavored Biscuits. I found that the Shop-Rite brand was easier to split, and split evenly. I also used cherry tomatoes instead of a whole tomato as the original recipe called for, to make them more bite sized. I do recommend using Oscar Meyers Thick Cut Bacon instead of regular sliced, so you taste more bacon in every mouthful. Definitely recommend these for your next party.


AllRecipes.com

Ingredients

8 bacon slices, thick cut recommended
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 (16 ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a mini muffin pan.

2. In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon into a medium mixing bowl, and mix with tomato, onion, Swiss cheese, mayonnaise and basil.

3. Separate biscuits into thirds horizontally. Place separated biscuits into cups of the prepared mini muffin pan. Fill each biscuit with the bacon mixture.

4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment