Friday, April 1, 2011
Bailey's Irish Cream Cupcakes with Bailey's Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting
A few weeks ago my friend Alison had a little get together for St Patrick's Day. She asked me to bring a dessert and I wanted to bring one that was Irish themed. While I was Googling recipes I came across a great blog called Cupcake Rehab. The Blogger not only has a ton of delish cupcake recipes but has other great recipes too. There are a few I plan on trying in the near future. She has a really quirky personality and it comes out in all of her entries and recipes. You should totally check it out.
While I was baking the cupcakes the smell in my kitchen was outstanding! They smelled amazingly sweet, I wanted to dive right into the cupcakes. The recipe was very easy, as well as the icing. I definitely had to add additional Bailey's to make the icing a little smoother to ice though, but that didn't really effect the flavor. Then I added green shamrocks and white sprinkles to jazz them up. Yum!
Bailey's Irish Cream Cupcakes
2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temp.
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temp
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups Bailey's Irish Cream
2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons milk
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Insert 24 liners into a cupcake pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes with a stand mixer. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the liqueur, water and milk. Mix well.
4. In a third bowl, thoroughly combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, alternating with the liqueur mixture. Beat on medium speed for approximately 2 minutes.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for about 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. (NOTE: The cupcake liners can be filled a little over the suggested 3/4 full, they don't fluff up as much as expected.)
Bailey's Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons (maybe more) Bailey's Irish Cream
1. Cream the butter on high speed for approximately 3 minutes.
2. Add the bailey's and mix thoroughly. Slowly add the powdered sugar until well blended.
3. If necessary, add more Bailey's to thin or more sugar to thicken it to desired thickness.