Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Philly Cheese Steak Casserole

On Monday nights I have swimming practice until 8 p.m., when I get home the last thing I want to do is cook dinner. So lately I've been trying to make casseroles before practice, so all I need to do is pop it in the oven when I get home. This one was so yummy and really easy. The original recipe actually calls for sirloin steak but I decided to use ground beef instead and I was glad I did. This dish was really cheesy, creamy and low calorie, the best of everything! I definitely recommend it.



Philly Cheese Steak Casserole
Adapted from EatBetterAmerica.com
Serves 6

Ingredients

6 ounces uncooked egg noodles
1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup green peppers, chopped
1 3/4 cups Progresso beef broth
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2-quart glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain noodles as directed on package.

2. Meanwhile heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook beef and season with pepper, about 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally until beef is brown. Stir in onions and bell pepper. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon into baking dish.

3. In a medium bowl beat broth and flour with a whisk until smooth. Add to skillet heat to boiling. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, remove from heat. Stir in half-and-half and mustard. Spoon over beef mixture. Stir in cooked noodles.

4. Cover and bake 40 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered about 10 more minutes longer or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.


No comments:

Post a Comment